Thursday, August 14, 2014

Looking to the Skies

Monday afternoon we intended to spend as long as possible out on the beach. It was the last night of our vacation and I am a sucker for sunsets.

The immense ocean and sky were reminders of the greatness of God. As the wind started to pick up we brought out a kite.

My super Dad spouse got everything set up and started a demonstration on how to operate a stunt kite. Then  he allowed K, P & R to try their hand at flying.

 
As you might imagine, there were crashes, tangles, frustrated tears and big goofy grins. 
I marveled at the metaphor of 'learning to fly' under the watchful eye of our Father. At this age and stage, they weren't quite ready for him to let them go it alone. He offered, but they clung to his guidance.

Ten years old is a sweet, sweet time.
I am so grateful for the gift of this Summer--the profound growth in these people (not so much in stature as in other ways) and the opportunity to be mindful right here in the thick of it. I still can't spot the magic in every moment. Truth is, most of life is very ordinary, stressful even a bit groundhog day-ish. Yet, if we look, there really are glimpses of glory--moments when I realize that God is working out their story and mine.

After all our joy, I heard thunder begin to rumble and spun around to see darkness moving in.


An ominous reminder of the dynamic, changing world in which we live. I thought about my post from earlier this week. All the struggle and darkness in Missouri, Iraq and even in my own neighborhood--people were hurting and oppressed under the very same sky my family was basking in.

I won't even pretend to understand it. 
But I will be grateful, tender and mindful. And like my children learning to fly the kite, I will watch and cling. 

(The storm clouds were my view of shore and the picture below was my view towards the horizon.)
God’s love is meteroic,
his loyalty astronomic,

His purpose titanic,

    his verdicts oceanic.
Yet in his largeness
    nothing gets lost;
Not a man, not a mouse,
    slips through the cracks.
How exquisite your love, O God!

    How eager we are to run under your wings...
You’re a fountain of cascading light,
    and you open our eyes to light. 
Psalm 36:5-9 The Message

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. Great post Jen. Love the photos too, real keepers. Glad you got to have a summer break before school year begins again for you :)
Blessings